1 Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions constitute the rules of entry to The Song Comp. By entering the competition entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
“The Song Comp” is a songwriting competition devoted to discovering and advancing songwriting talent. The Song Comp is run by Songsalive! Australia and administered by “The Song Comp Committee” (“The Song Comp Committee”), a committee appointed by Songsalive! Australia.
The Song Comp 2017 entry period extended to: February 15th, 2018
3 Who can enter
- Entry to The Song Comp is open to all songwriters, amateur or professional signed or unsigned.
- Members of The Song Comp Committee and their immediate families are not permitted to enter the competition. Songs co-written by members of the committee or their immediate family are also not eligible for entry into the competition.
- Entrants under the age of eighteen years must provide consent from their parent or legal guardian.
- First round judges are permitted to enter the competition; they are restricted however to entering categories in which they have no judging involvement.
- Due to the nature of the second round judging, Second Round judges will not be allowed to enter the competition.
- All entries will be reviewed prior to commencement of judging to ensure adherence to these rules.
4 What can you enter
- Entrants may enter as many songs in as many categories as they like.
- Entries must be original songs, written or co-written by the entrant.
- Entries must not infringe the copyright of any third party
- Where copyright is held by a third party, it is the responsibility of the entrant to arrange appropriate clearance to enter the competition.
- The Song Comp accepts entries in good faith. By entering the competition the entrant indemnifies Songsalive! Australia, The Song Comp and the Song Comp Committee against any claims resulting from copyright infringement.
5 How to enter
Our preferred method of entry is online via the Song Central song competition platform.
All online entrants must submit
- A recording of the song in MP3 format (128 kbps)
- An electronic copy of the lyrics
- A nomination for the category or categories that they wish to enter
- Full payment of the entry fee (See Schedule A for details)
5.2 Mail Entries
Should the entrant for any reason not be able to enter via the online platform then they may enter by sending their entry to
Songsalive! Australia “The Song Comp”
P.O. Box 135
Castle Hill, NSW 1765
- Mail Entries must include
- A CD of the song or songs
- on a CD Disc clearly labeled with the song names and entrants name.
- enclosed in a standard jewel case. Please note that “slim line” jewel cases are not acceptable.
- with the jewel case clearly labeled with the song names and entrants name.
- and with the Entrant’s name printed on the spine of the case.
- Two typed copies of lyrics on A4 paper
- One song per page.
- Clearly labeled with the song name and entrants name.
- A page providing the following details: Song Name, Songwriter (name, address & phone number), Co-writer(s) (if applicable), Category you wish to enter.
- Full payment of entry fees via bank cheque or money order in Australian dollars. (See Schedule A for details)
- Materials submitted to the competition (including but not limited to CD’s and lyric sheets) will NOT be returned to the entrants.
- Entries will be rendered anonymous and uploaded to the online competition platform once payment has been cleared.
- Once the songs have been uploaded to the online competition platform, the materials including, but not limited to CD’s and lyric sheets, will be destroyed.
- Songsalive! Australia, The Song Comp, and The Song Comp Committee accept no responsibility for entries lost in the mail/delivery process.
- To be accepted into the competition all Mail Entries must be postmarked on or before the closing date of the competition and received within one week of the closing date.
6.1 Entry Categories
All entries must be made to one of the following categories:
||Children / Novelty / Comedy
||The Memorial Song
6.2 Special Award Categories
In addition to the entry categories, all qualifying entries will also compete in the following categories:
- Bare Bones
There is no additional entry fee these categories. It is only required that the entrant and entry meet the special categories requirements. Finalists for the special award categories will be announced at the same time as the entry categories.
- To be considered for the youth category entrants must be aged 18 years or younger as at December 31, 2017.
- All genres of music are accepted in this category.
- Entry into the youth category is automatic for those who are eligible.
- Judging for the youth category is independent of the judging for the original entry category. It will be possible to win or be short-listed for each of original entry category and the Youth category.
- To be considered for the unsigned category, entrants cannot be signed to a major record label or song publishing company.
- Entrants may not enter any song that is owned, wholly or partly, by a publishing company.
- Entrants who are on their own label, or no label are eligible to enter.
- All genres of music are accepted in this category.
- Entrants must indicate their wish to be included in this category at time of entry.
- Judging for the Unsigned category is independent of the judging for the original entry category. It will be possible to win or be shortlisted for each of the original entry category and the Unsigned category.
6.2.4 Bare Bones
- To be considered for the Bare Bones category, recordings should feature no more than two instruments and vocals.
- All genres of music are considered in this category.
- Entries will be nominated for inclusion in this category during the judging process. No action is required from the entrant.
- The Song Comp will be open for entries from November 20th, 2017 until February 15th, 2018, inclusive.
- The finalists will be announced in February 2018 and the Top 5 and category winners at the Awards Show in March 2018.
- NOTE: Songsalive! Australia, while attempting to meet the above dates, reserves the right to extend the closing date of the competition and/or delay the announcement of results due to unforeseen circumstances.
- The competition will be run in two rounds.
- An initial screening round will be handled by a listening committee arranged by Songsalive! Australia. The listening committee will be comprised of industry professionals and music consumers.
- This committee will select the finalists who will go into a second round and be judged by the judging panel.
- The judging panel will comprise of music industry professionals, independent of Songsalive! Australia. They will select the category winners and also the overall winner.
- An online system will ensure anonymity of the entrants and impartiality of the judging throughout both rounds.
The entrant agrees that entries will be distributed to the judges. The entrant agrees to indemnify, and hold Songsalive! Australia, its sponsors, judges and The Song Comp Committee free from liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in The Song Comp.
The judges’ decisions will be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into relating to their decisions.
Winners will be contacted within four weeks of the close of judging.
Winners may be required to sign an affidavit confirming their ownership of their entry before receiving some or all, of their prize.
Should, after eight weeks, for any reason, Songsalive! Australia be unable to contact a prize winner, we reserve the right to assign the prize to the runner up in that category.
- Prizes will be awarded by the judging panel in conjunction with Songsalive! Australia The Song Comp.
- There will be no transfer or substitution of prizes.
- Best efforts will be made to ensure that appropriate prizes are provided to each category winner.
- Songsalive! Australia will not be held responsible if an entrant is unable to make use of their prize for any reason.
- The entrant will be responsible for any tax or duty payable as a result of receiving their prize.
Entrants will retain all ownership rights to all submitted songs.
Under no circumstance will either Songsalive! Australia, The Song Comp or The Song Comp Committee attempt to acquire or attain any ownership rights to any entries submitted to the competition. This includes, but is not limited to, entries, finalists and/or winners’ entries included on promotional CD’s or websites.
12 Song Critiques:
- The Song Comp will provide an additional detailed critique of entered songs.
- There will be a charge as per the fee structure (Schedule A).
- The fee will cover administration costs and the time of the evaluator.
- These comprehensive critiques will be done outside the judging process and will not in any way influence the competition results.
Appendix A – Entry Fees
Members of Songsalive! Australia entering online
Song entry per category: $25.00
Music and lyrics critique: $33.00
Lyrics only critique: $22.00
Non-members of Songsalive! Australia entering online
Song entry per category: $35.00
Music and lyrics critique: $44.00
Lyrics only critique: $33.00
Physical Mail Entry
$50 per entry
Member denotes membership of Songsalive! Australia.
- Membership of Songsalive! Australia is not mandatory to be eligible to enter The Song Comp 2017.
- Entrants are eligible for the discounted entry fee, if they choose to become a member of Songsalive! Australia during the song entry process. http://www.songsaliveaustralia.org.au/Join
· The annual membership fee for Songsalive! Australia is A$50/yr.
- Bill Page - Creative Manager Mushroom Music Publishing
- Sven Tydeman - Producer / Musician / Award winning Songwriter
- Hayley Warner - (EMI) Multi-platinum songwriter
- Matthew Donlevy - Music publisher - Peer Music Publishing
- Lea Goodrem - Artist Development Consultant
- Esther Volstad - Licensing Manager, Shout Records
- Dr. Brendon Nelson - Member of the Australian House of Representatives
- Rob Case - CEO New Pants / Old Pants Publishing (U.S.)
- Allan Caswell - Multi Award-winning songwriter
- Duncan Hill - Songwriter / President TSA
- Roger Corbett - Multi Award-winning songwriter - The Bushwackers
- Stewart Peters - Multi Award winning Singer/Songwriter
- Simon Johnson - Producer / Musician
- Danielle Blakey - Singer / Songwriter POP award winner 2011 - NA2R
- Rico Soto - General Manager Oxygen Music Group / Hydrogen Records
- Caitlin Harnett - Mushroom signed singer songwriter
- Ella Hooper - Award-winning Australian songwriter
- Ben Finn - Principal owner Maxx Music NSW / Singer songwriter
- Adam Argyle - Multi Award-winning songwriter (U.K.)
- Ryan Sampson - Award-winning singer-songwriter
- Alyce Simmonds - Award-winning singer-songwriter